Report Suspected Child Abuse

Report suspected child abuse

Children are the future of our community. Here at, we believe in the value of children. They have a right to a safe environment in which to grow.

Bystanders, those who hear the screams in the night, thinking well "someone should do something about it, I hear their cries every night." Wake up! That someone is you. If you believe someone is being abused, pick up the phone and CALL 9-1-1. The police and responding authorities will determine what needs to be done from there, all you have to do is pick up the phone; you may be saving a life!

Family Violence, child abuse is a pervasive and growing problem in every state here in the USA, and every country around the world.

Children must be protected; and yet, they cannot protect themselves. Protecting children involves everyone. Helping abused and neglected children is a duty we all share.

All family violence is unacceptable and you can get help from services and protection from police and the courts through protection orders, removing the abusive individual from the home environment, by acting quickly to resolve family violence situations, and offering family violence intervention counseling and housing services.

How Can I Get Involved?

First, learn ways you can help your family, friends and neighbors before abuse occurs. Most parents want to do the right things for their child. Sometimes problems like loss of a job, immaturity, substance abuse, being new parents or other issues cause stress for a person trying to be a parent.

Be supportive of parents who are having problems. Offer to baby-sit, or help in other ways. Volunteer or start a child abuse prevention campaign at your church or work.

Be alert to the signs of child abuse and neglect. Know what steps to take to help.

What is Child Abuse or Neglect?

Children who are mistreated can be physically abused, sexually abused, or emotionally abused; neglected; or abandoned.

Physical Abuse is any injury resulting from beating, biting burning or otherwise harming a child.

Sexual abuse is any act of molestation against a minor child.

Emotional abuse can be caused by constantly rejecting a child, exposing a child to domestic violence, or threatening child's safety.

Neglect is defined as the failure of a parent to provide food, clothing, supervision, education or medical care for a child.

What is Family Violence

Family violence can include any physical assault, sexual abuse, emotional and economic abuse or pet abuse. Family violence includes violent, threatening, coercive or controlling behaviour that occurs in current or past family, domestic or intimate relationships.

Family violence is not just physical, it includes control and manipulation and behaviour that causes you to live in fear. Some examples of family violence might include:

  • stopping you from seeing your family and friends
  • threatening to harm other family members or pets
  • humiliation, threats or insults
  • constant criticism
  • taking your medication from you
  • taking away your access to money for food and clothes
  • threatening to report you to immigration
  • threatening to tell your family and friends about your sexual orientation when you do not want them to know
  • damage to property
  • harassment or stalking

A perpetrator who causes a child to witness an incident or clean up after an incident, is also committing family violence.

  • in a marriage, de-facto relationship or civil union
  • in a gay or lesbian relationship
  • to people with a disability who rely on their carer
  • between parents, children and relatives
  • between people in a 'family-like' relationship, siblings for example
  • In some cases, the violence might be by a young person against a parent or relative
  • Who Do I Call With My Concerns? NEVER EMAIL A REPORT OF ABUSE OR NEGLECT. Call your local child protective service agency or your local law enforcement agency.
    We do not take child abuse reports on-line due to privacy laws. You must call the report to your local child protective agency, or for assistance Call the Childhelp USA® National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-4-A-CHILD®  (1-800-422-4453).

    When you call to make a referral, you will talk with the intake social worker who will ask you a series of questions about your concerns. You may not have the answers to some of the questions. That's okay. Answer as many as you can, as completely as you can, so we can decide the best way to respond to your concerns.

    What Happens After I Call With My Concerns?

    Child Protective staff will assess the level of risk to the child. If a child is at risk of abuse or neglect, we will either provide direct service or refer the family to other community organizations. The important thing is that the family can now get the help it needs. Child Protective Centers offer the following services:

    • Child Protective Service
    • Foster Care
    • Adoption

    Am I Doing The Right Thing?

    Understanding your role in protecting children is important. You are doing the right thing by getting involved and telling us a child is at risk of abuse or neglect. The children must be able to count on us to make their world safe and secure. After all, it takes a community to protect a child.

    Call the Childhelp USA® National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-4-A-CHILD®  (1-800-422-4453).

    Report Child abuse Local Phone Numbers

    Abuse must be reported within the state in which it occurs. When seeking to report abuse, it is important to remember these points:

    1. Not every state has a reporting hotline

    2. Not every hotline is 24 - hour accessible

    3. If the state does have a hotline, it may only be accessible within that state

    Should you need to report in another state or the particular state does not have a hotline, you may need to contact the out-of-state reporting number or the specific county in which the abuse occurred. The Childhelp USA® National Child Abuse Hotline can provide these numbers for you.

    Click on a state for reporting information and phone numbers:

    Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
    Alaska Louisiana Ohio
    Arizona Maine Oklahoma
    Arkansas Maryland Oregon
    California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
    Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
    Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
    Delaware Mississippi South Dakota
    District of Columbia Missouri Tennessee
    Florida Montana Texas
    Georgia Nebraska Utah
    Hawaii Nevada Vermont
    Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
    Illinois New Jersey Washington
    Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
    Iowa New York Wisconsin
    Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

    Alabama - Report by County - 334-242-9500

    Alaska - 907-269-3900 (out of state)
    800-478-4444 (in state)
    or Division of Family & Youth Services Regional Office

    Arizona - 888-SOS-CHILD (888-767-2445)

    Arkansas - 800-482-5964

    California - Report by County
    916-445-2832 (out of state)

    Colorado - Report by County
    303-866-3003 (nationwide)

    Connecticut - 800-842-2288 (nationwide)
    800-624-5518 (TDD/hearing impaired, in state)

    Delaware - 800-292-9582
    302-577-6550 (out of state)

    District of Columbia - 202-671-7233 (nationwide)

    Florida - 800-962-2873 (nationwide)

    Georgia - Report by County

    Hawaii - Report By Island
    808-832-5300 (Oahu)

    Idaho - Report by Regional Office

    Illinois - 800-252-2873 (in state)
    217-524-2606 (out of state)

    Indiana - 800-800-5556 (in state)
    Out of state: report by regional office

    Iowa - 800-362-2178 (nationwide)

    Kansas - 800-922-5330
    785-296-0044 (out of state)

    Kentucky - 800-752-6200
    502-595-4550 (out of state)

    Louisiana - Report by Parish/County
    225-342-6832 (out of state, during business hours)

    Maine - 800-452-1999
    207-287-2983 (out of state)
    207-287-3492 (TTY)

    Maryland - 800-332-6347 (in state)
    Out of state: report by county

    Massachusetts - 800-792-5200
    617-232-4882 (out of state)

    Michigan - 800-942-4357
    517-373-3572 (out of state)

    Minnesota - Report by County

    Mississippi - 800-222-8000
    601-359-4991 (out of state)

    Missouri - 800-392-3738
    573-751-3448 (out of state)

    Montana - 800-332-6100
    406-444-5900 (out of state)

    Nebraska - 800-652-1999
    402-595-1324 (out of state, during business hours)

    Nevada - 800-992-5757
    775-684-4400 (out of state, during business hours)

    New Hampshire - 800-894-5533 (in state)
    800-852-3388 (in state, after hours)
    603-271-6563 (out of state)
    603-225-9000 (out of state, after hours)

    New Jersey - 800-792-8610 (nationwide, 24 hours)
    800-835-5510 (TDD/hearing impaired)

    New Mexico - 800-797-3260 (24 hours)
    505-841-6100 (out of state, 24 hours)

    New York - 800-342-3720
    518-474-8740 (out of state)

    North Carolina - Report by county

    North Dakota - Report by Regional Office
    701-328-2316 (nationwide, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)
    800-245-3736 (in state, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)

    Ohio - Report by County
    614-466-9824 (nationwide, during business hours)

    Oklahoma - 800-522-3511 (nationwide, 24 hours)

    Oregon - 800-854-3508 ext.2402 (in state, during business hours)
    503-378-5414 (TTY, hearing impaired)
    503-378-6704 (nationwide, during business hours)

    Pennsylvania - 800-932-0313 (in state)
    717-783-8744 (in and out of state)

    Rhode Island - 800-RI-CHILD ( 800-742-4453) (nationwide, 24 hours)

    South Carolina - Report by County (in state)
    803-898-7318 (out of state, during business hours)

    South Dakota - Report by County
    605-773-3227 (nationwide, during business hours)

    Tennessee - Report by County
    615-532-3545 (nationwide, during business hours)
    After hours: contact county Department of Human Services

    Texas - 800-252-5400
    512-834-3784 (out of state, during business hours)
    512-832-2020 (out of state, after hours)

    Utah - 800-678-9399 (nationwide)

    Vermont - Report by County (during business hours)
    800-649-5285 (in state)

    Virginia - 800-552-7096
    804-786-8536 (out of state)

    Washington - 800-562-5624 (nationwide)

    West Virginia - 800-352-6513
    304-558-7980 (out of state, during business hours)

    Wisconsin - Report by County
    608-266-3036 (nationwide, during business hours)

    Wyoming - 800-457-3659 (In state, report by county)

Chase Enterprises, LLC; by Chase Enterprises © 1998- all rights reserved.  Terms of Use | Your Privacy | Web Privacy Policy | Site map | Advertise with us, "site" is only intended for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice from a physician, or other professional educator. Please check with a physician or licensed professional should you require a diagnosis, psychiatric, or medical treatments/intervention; as well as information regarding any specific condition. If you are experiencing emergent/urgent medical condition requiring immediate medical or psychiatric care, call 9-1-1. by Chase Enterprises, LLC does not endorse any referred website sites, or products offered. You are bound by our legal terms of use of these websites as per their use policies. Check google pagerank for